Sunday, May 13, 2012

Service Learning

1) Literal:

Here is the link to my Service Learning Hours Log (also found on the side of my blog):


Total Hours: 72 and 50 minutes  (14 hours and 35 minutes also part of Independent Component 1)
Description:  I work with small groups (usually struggling learners, ELL students) in Mrs.  Nacarra's first grade classroom.  If they require help with a certain assignment or need catching up, I help them in doing so.  I work on Read it! Read it! with Ms.  Horwitz students (program on reading sight words).  Thus, I help the teachers when they need assisstance in anything else, whether it's with their students or correcting tests. 

Contact Name and Number: Mrs. Nacarra & Ms. Horwitz (first grade teachers),  (909) 397-4670

Interpretive:

The most important thing I've gained from this experience is knowledge on how to work with children (specifically Kindergarteners and First graders).  Through my experience, I've learned many behavioral aspects on children and why they may behave in school a certain way.  I see that they want to have fun, but they are also willing to learn if you incorportate the correct methods/techniques.  It's made me realize that it doesn't just require patience to work with children. 

Applied:

My experience in service learning has helped me get people to interview, people who helped me receive answers I have now and inputted their personal experience with those methods.  Also, when I observe the first grade classrooms, I can see the teaching methods/techniques I've researched in action.  Through my service learning, I now have examples of how certain methods work or are applied to the lesson. 


No comments:

Post a Comment