Thursday, April 26, 2012

Independent Component 2

Here is my Independent Component 2 hours log (starts on Feb):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AufLznWoxxvGdERXM0d5MXlQejdmdzl0VHhuOVBSMFE

Here are pictures of some notes and one of the magazines I took notes on for my Independent Component 2:


Literal:

a) I, Diana Gutierrez, affirm that I completed my Independent Component which represents 30 hours of work.

b)  I completed 30 hours of reading, from magazines Ms.  Underwood (teacher from Independent Component 1) let me borrow and from a book called Methods for Effective Teaching.  I took notes on every section that I read, anything that I found helpful to my senior project and/or EQ.


Interpretive:

It took an average amount of 40 minutes to an 1 hour of reading and taking notes for about two months.  It's about 30+ pages of notes/research all together.  It was very useful since it was a book made for future teachers to study off of and prepare them for their careers (I checked out this book at the Cal Poly Pomona library), and so, had a lot of information from lesson planning, to grouping strategies, and handling misbehavior.  The magazines had various information on current issues within education, such as poverty affecting the academic performances of numerous students, start at a young age too, and colorblindess (not accepting diversity within classrooms).  I read about many issues/facts that I hadn't read before in my previous research.


Applied:

It definitely helped explain in greater detail all of my answers, since it talked about all the teaching methods I have as my answers; I got this information from Methods for Effective Teaching.  I read about different examples on how teachers may apply certain teaching methods within the class, and examples I probably hadn't seen in my service learning or first independent component.  Both the book and magazines talked about struggling and at- risk students.  There was information on the reasons why they may be in that position, especially at such a young age, and why certain teaching methods prove to be more effective with at- risk students (which my EQ is about teaching methods that can help increae academic gain of at-risk students in first grade).  The book actually helped me get my third answer and deepened my understanding towards that method, which was Direct Instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment