Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Product

My product is "became a better first grade tutor/helper", and probably not just first grade, but also for kindergarten.  When I mean better, I mean that I have more knowledge on a first grader's behavior and how to react to their behavior.  For example, if I'm helpig a student with their sight words is discouraged because they cannot read the word, then I must encourage the student to sound out the word and not seem judgemental (Making the Grade, 2003) .  I learned this through my research, but also learned different techniques used to help students understand the concept(s) being taught (such as addition).  Thus, through my experience working with first grade students and observing the teachers, I've learned techniques they use with their students.  Everything I've learned and experienced can be applied to my tutoring with the kids.  For example, Mrs.  Naccara uses a certain technique to help her students with adding numbers that have a two digit sum.  If the problem is 9 + 9, then the students say "I have nine on my head (they put nine fingers on their head) and nine on my fingers (they put nine fingers down, lay them on the desk)."  Then, they start counting the fingers on their head, 1,2,3... and so on.  Then the students continue counting as they move down to their nine fingers on the desk,10, 11, 12... until they get to 18.  My experience working with the first grade students through my service learning (and even with kindergarten students for my independent component) and my research have lead me to this answer.

Evidence:


This is a time where I helped a group of first grade students (in this picture I'm helping one student) with their math in Mrs.  Naccara's class (service learning).


No comments:

Post a Comment